Grandma is such a fighter, I am not joking. These spurts of energy she gets are amazing. She goes from total sleep, to talking in a matter of seconds. Doctors have given her a few days, Monday the latest. How incredibly sad, seriously. A part of me want to not believe it, but seeing her in this condition almost confirms it.
She is probably under 80lb and is in hospice care at a beautiful hospice center. The people there are amazing, they brush her hair, bathe her and even sit in there and talk to her when no family is visiting. Most the time you talk to her she is sleeping, but she hears EVERYTHING!...Today my dad and I were talking about pictures and seconds later she was awake and talking about pictures.
We have been going everyday....it's a ride, over a hour, but it's worth it. I get a kick out of her reaction when she realizes it's Vincent. Yesterday she threw her arms up and said "my baby" when she saw him, and went back to sleep. When I left I told her I loved her and she said "so, I love you more." She is so funny even in this state.
Today she was trying to wink at me from across her bed and she tried so hard. We were laughing. She said "why is everyone laughing?"...oops.
Let me tell you about these past few days....they are heart breaking, nerve wrecking, sad, happy, memorable, strange, mind-boggling, I can go on forever....I have NEVER gone through anything like this before and let me tell you, this has to be the hardest thing to experience.
We sit there and stare at her, making sure she is breathing, listening to her talk and trying to make out what she is saying, we cry, we laugh, we remember. Today I brought some pictures of her from the past and they make you realize that-she really is sick, and dying, but thank goodness for photos, pictures from when my dad was tiny, pictures of us with her growing up, pictures of her with Vincent, and pictures of her when she was HEALTHY.
She is really starting to call for those that are deceased, her mom and dad especially. Today she said she was drinking with her Uncle, and didn't know what was in the glass....she said she was drinking out of a flask...we couldn't understand what she was saying at the end and she actually got a bit mad and spelled F-L-A-S-K.....it was so funny that she is still so spunky.
Vincent can be down the hall playing and she will hear him while she is sleeping and all of a sudden say...Vincie....He walked in her room and didn't say a word and she sensed he was there....she opened her eyes and started calling for him. They really do have a special bond. Once she decides to leave us, I truely believe she will be Vincent's little angel.
We love her dearly and will miss her for an eternity.
2 comments:
Awww, I'm sorry about your grandma. :( I love how you shared her relationship with V - precious! I'm sure that she can feel how much you love and treasure her. :) Hang in there!
Sounds like an amazing woman. Hang in there Celeste.
Post a Comment